Ferryhill Town Council manages 3 allotment sites in Ferryhill, Paxton Street, which is at the top of Dean Bank, Storehouse near Dean Bank Recreation Park and East End Allotment Site at Manor Farm and there are currently vacancies on all three sites.
Did you know there are many benefits to allotment gardening;
- the social contact offered by gardening helps with loneliness
- There is a growing awareness of the role that gardening plays in both preventing and alleviating mental ill-health, many allotment gardeners will tell you that a spell on the plot nurturing plants and contemplating nature makes them feel calmer and more hopeful.
- The physical benefits of regular spells of gardening help plot-holders to keep fit
- If managed properly, an allotment can produce enough food to supplement a family’s weekly shop, with fresh fruit and vegetables over the year.
- Growing vegetables gives you a sense of achievement, it requires acquiring new knowledge and skills and the satisfaction gained from eating you first home grown tomato or new potato makes them taste even more delicious!
- Working an allotment all year round gives you contact with nature, allotment holders experience the seasons and witness the behaviour of birds, insects and other animals.
The annual rent for an allotment on one of the above sites is £28, this includes use of water. If you would like to apply for an allotment please call Ferryhill Town Council on 01740 652157 or email firstname.lastname@example.org